Welcome

Hi, and welcome to my Indonesian expat news and real estate blog site. I hope you find the information here useful, informative, thought provoking, and perhaps good for even a chuckle or two. Please feel free to join in and participate by leaving a comment, suggestion or question. On the right side column navigation panes you will find areas for getting around on this site and some helpful links as well. To search my blog site for a topic of interest to you either use the search box in the upper left hand corner menu bar or use the blog archive on the right side column pane. Thanks for stopping by... And if you, or someone you know, is looking to buy or sell a property in Indonesia or the United States please contact me at +62.815.1000.8967

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Lost in Translation ?

This past weekend my wife Voni (who is Indonesian) and I visited the Gumati Cafe & Resto which is a small resort type of place with some outdoor type of recreation activities.  As we were walking the grounds she asked me in her "Englis" (as I do not speak Bahasa) if i would like to go "take a flying fuks"

Shocked

Needless to say I was rather shocked, and asked her to repeat it to make sure I had heard her correctly.  She repeated it a couple times, and I was still perplexed why she was giving me such an invitation!  Finally, we came to a spot, and she pointed over and said; there...THAT is the "flying fuks"

Duh


As it turned out, the "flying fuks" is the flying FOX, which to us in American English is called a "zip-line"

Phew


Here is the scene of the invitation for me to go take a "flying fuks" (you can see the zip line in the right side of the picture going down from the bluff across the water below)


Anyway, just a funny little anecdote how things can get "lost in translation."   I am sure she has some good ones on me too trying to say certain words in Bahasa. 

Laughing 1

No comments:

Post a Comment